I have been a diabetic for over 12 years now but have never really altered my life the way I should. I am starting this blog as a way to try and hold myself accountable. I know that this blog may not be of any interest to the majority but if you should take the time to read it please leave a comment with an encouraging word or a kick up the bum depending on the need at the time.



Thanks



Wednesday 4 May 2011

Me and Diabetes - 4th May 2011

I was diagnosed with diabetes in August 2000, it came as a complete shock as at the time I had no symptoms.  I had applied for a job as a medical secretary on a Special Care Baby Unit and part of the recruitment process was a medical.  As part of the medical they did a dipstick urine test, my sugar levels were high and I was told I needed to see my GP for a blood test.  I had the blood test and they confirmed I was diabetic.  They suggested the rest of my family be tested and this is how my mum found out she is also diabetic.

So I started off "controlling" my diabetes through my diet.  Well I didn't change anything I did so that didn't work.  I was then put on medication and lost about 3 stone in 2 months as I had quite severe side effects from the tablets.  This was the one and only time in my life I have lost a significant amount of weight and I didn't really do anything - basically I had no appetite at the time and anything I did eat shall I just say quickly came out one end or the other.  Finally I was started on insulin - five injections every day it was hell.  About 3 years ago I started using an insulin pump and I now only have to have a needle once every 2 days when I change the infusion set on my pump.

While I was pregnant with my son my control was excellent - my HbA1C (the blood test which shows what your blood sugar levels have done for the past 3 months) was at the level of a non-diabetic.  I was very proud of the fact that my son was born weighing 6lb 13oz when most diabetic women have much larger babies.  This just proved that I had looked after myself and my son during my pregnancy.

After my son's birth I unfortunately suffered from postnatal depression.  It was an awful time and the last thing I was thinking about was looking after myself and my diabetes. 

In February 2011 I had my first follow up appointment with the Diabetic Team since my son's birth.  My Consultant is absolutely amazing.  When I told him I hadn't tested my blood sugars for 12 months, had been skipping doses of insulin and eating whatever I wanted, he told me that this was not unusual during the first 12 months after having a baby but that I really needed to get my act together and start looking after myself.  He wanted to see me again in 3 months time. 

So today I attended clinic again my last HbA1C was 9.9 (it should be less than 7).  I told him the truth I am now giving myself my dose of insulin with the majority of my meals although I do occasionally forget and I am very rarely testing my blood sugars.  I don't need education, I know what I should be doing, I know the terrible consequences I could face later in life if I don't take care of myself.  My biggest fear is that I will lose my sight to diabetic retinopathy and will no longer be able to cross stitch, read or knit, these are the things I do to relax and honestly I don't know if life would be worth living if I couldn't do them.  That probably sounds very harsh but I am trying to be open and honest.

He suggested that I take half an hour to an hour 2-3 times a week to sit down and think about my diabetes.  What I am doing wrong, what I could be doing better, what the consequences may be and what those consequences could mean to me.  I thought about writing a journal but then thought if I were to write a blog about this then there may be someone out there who will read it and encourage me or give me a virtual slap and basically just hold me accountable.

I know that I cannot change everything overnight but my aim is to make small changes every week and hopefully by the time my next appointment with the Consultant comes round I will be able to report that I am making good progress.  I have found with my cross stitching that setting myself goals motivates me so I am going to try that technique with this as well.  So here are my goals.
  1. Reduce my HbA1C by my next appointment, even if it is only by 0.1 it will be lower and going in the right direction - once I know what the result was from today I will add it here - my next clinic appointment is 28th September
  2. Test my blood sugars at least once a day
  3. Measure the carbohydrates I am eating rather than just guessing
  4. Reduce the amount of sugar I eat
  5. Reduce the amount of fat I eat
  6. Lose weight
  7. Exercise more
This is all I can think of at the time being but will review these goals and update my progress regularly.

My next list is the list of things that could happen should I not get control of my diabetes.
  1. I could lose my sight
  2. I could lose limbs due to neuropathy
  3. I could end up with kidney failure and have to have dialysis
  4. I could shorten my life
If you've made it this far I thank you for your patience.  I hope you will come back and help me on my journey.

I would also like to add that if there is anything here you don't understand please ask me and I will try and explain.  If you have questions about diabetes please ask and I will try and answer.  If you have any suggestions as to how I can change please tell me.

Nicola

13 comments:

Never Enough Time said...

Hi Nicola,

I also have Diabetes It is very hard to control when you have a family that does not have it. I started changing my eating habits also and it was very hard. I believe with your will and these goals you will achieve them. Just remember you did not gain the weight over night. also get your husband involved to help motivate mine would come home with Chocolate and I asked him do you not love me will he stopped doing that. You are a strong woman and your mom will learn with you. So do not give up and take one day at a time x

Nic said...

Thank you for your comment. I hope we can help each other with this :-)

Unknown said...

Well done Nicola,

I have gestational diabetes but on insulin, I had it with my son and much worse with this pregnancy and have been told if I don't lose weight I will have diabetes full time very soon.

I am very impressed you managed to keep your BM's down in pregnancy as I really suffer and know how they can change without warning. Any tips gratefully recieved.

Keep blogging and keep positive and lowering your levels, I know it is hard but so worth it (though I am dreading a life without chocolate :()

Nic said...

Hi Sam

My Consultant asked me today what I did when I was pregnant to get such good control and I honestly don't know. I remember jokingly saying at the time that the baby was my miracle cure! I even said to the Consultant today maybe I should just stay pregnant all the time but I think that could work out expensive :-)

Have you ever asked about the possibility of an insulin pump? Basically it gives you a continuous infusion of a small amount of insulin which can easily be altered and even set for different levels at different times of day and then you give yourself boluses when you eat, the pump works out how much insulin you need depending on what your BM is and how much carbohydrate you have eaten. It's an amazing piece of equipment and I wouldn't be without it.

With regard ot never having chocolate you don't actually have to stop eating anything you should just eat it in moderation - preferably straight after a meal (not as a snack) and give yourself enough insulin to cover it.

I hope this is of some help, please keep me updated with how you get on xx

Kykaree said...

What a lovely, honest blog. Your such a lovely person, and although we don't see each other enough, you are such a blessing, and I want you to be my friend for a long long time!!!

I am glad you are writing this, and are working on it. I am trying to exercise more and lose weight. I am not diabetic, but I think the writing is on the wall, both my parents are and I'm enormous!

I didn't get gestational diabetes as I skipped the third trimester! Cheating or what? (you have to laugh!)

Nic said...

Oh Kylie - you've got me crying now. I have to say right back at you - I feel like I have a really good friend in you xx

Joysze said...

Nic... first off.... sending you lots of hugs. It takes a great deal of courage to get to this point, and I think having this down in writing is a positive step in the right direction.

You know how you got took such good care of yourself when you were pregnant for the baby, well... now you have to take good care of yourself for your son... and all his stages of growing up. You want to be there for his first day of school, his first report card, his first kiss.... *shudder* his driver's license.... and the list goes on and on... and you want to be there healthy and well, and for him to look at you and think "that's my mom!!!" and be proud of it.

This will be a legacy you will teach him too... that his mama is strong!!!

You can do this, one bit at a time. Watch what you eat, that's the most important, and it's another thing your boy will be able to learn from you... to eat well.

My grandma had diabetes and my aunt was ruthless in controlling her diet. Healthy, healthy food day in and day out, and it's not easy... not for her, nor for my aunt. But it's well worth it. I'll be reading your blog faithfully... and if you ever need that kick in the butt.... my shoe is at the ready. ;)

Susan said...

I know how hard it is. I'm not diabetic, but my son was diagnosed at 5 with Type 1. He is now 16, with an A1C of over 10. And yes, he is on an insulin pump. He just doesn't want to deal with it, so he pretends it doesn't exist. I hope it gets easier, for you and for my son.

Nic said...

Joysze - thanks for the encouragement I am feeling so positive right now with everyones support I feel like I can do anything - just hope I can keep up the momentum.

Susan - it must be terribly hard for you and your son. I was saying to my Consultant yesterday it is a very hard thing to understand that what you are doing now could be very bad in the long-term. If there were short-term effects (apart from the riuse in blood sugar) then I feel it would be easier to deal with.

Emma said...

Good Luck with your progress, I will follow it and see how you go, and you know I am always here if you need anything

Nic said...

Thanks Emma :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Nicola,

I would love an insulin pump but they would never give one for GD as it is a short term thing. I am assuming if I end up with type 2 diabetes I will be diet controlled first and then work up but it is something I will keep in mind for as and when :)
I think you have proved to yourself that if you can keep your BM's low when pregnant you can do it at any time but I do understand it is so hard, I struggle for a few months when pregnant and especially running around after a toddler. You will get there because you are so determined.

Stacey said...

Just got around to reading this, it's a very big first step in writing this to be accountable, I will be there reading & supporting all the way :) x