I have been a diabetic for over 12 years now but have never really altered my life the way I should. I am starting this blog as a way to try and hold myself accountable. I know that this blog may not be of any interest to the majority but if you should take the time to read it please leave a comment with an encouraging word or a kick up the bum depending on the need at the time.



Thanks



Sunday 28 August 2011

Sunday 28th August 2011

Okay so it's been 2 weeks since I last blogged so I'm now a bad blogger as well as a bad diabetic!

This morning I put my insulin pump on after not having it on for 36 hours - there was no reason for not having it on I just didn't get round to it (or ignored it).  So this morning I tested my sugar and it was 17.3mmol/l which is high but not too bad for not having had insulin for 36 hours.  So I gave myself a bolus to correct the high sugar and have bolused for my meals so far today.

I'm not in work for a couple of works and really hope that I can get into some sort of routine of regular testing. There should be no excuses of not having time although I have got a busy week at home and then a week away but I'm going to make testing and getting my control on track my top priority.  My next diabetic appointment is in less than a month and I really want to go in and be able to give some positive feedback on my progress.

This week I also changed GP and the nurse I saw seemed really good.  She used to be a diabetic nurse in a hospital so she actually understood my condition and medication better than some medical professionals have done.  Anyway I have to go back on Friday (without Samuel this time) so we can have a proper chat apparently there are some other medications that I can take to help my body absorb insulin better.  I am a type two diabetic but I think my main problem is insulin resistance my body just can't absorb the insulin it is producing and I am providing.  To give you an idea I read the other day that a type one diabetic boluses 4 units of insulin for a meal (this is one individual and will obviously differ for others) whereas I bolus up to 35 units for a meal so a massive difference.  I  used to be on metformin which is a tablet which helps your body to absorb insulin but the side effects for me far outweighed the benefits and my diabetic consultant agreed it was not worth taking them.  Anyway I am intrigued to hear that there are other medications I can try and a bit disappointed that they haven't been offered to me before.

She also asked me if I have ever attended a Dafne course (this is a course which helps type 1 diabetics to learn calorie counting and how different foods affect blood sugars).  I haven't done the course but was interested to be referred for it, however, having done some research on the internet it is definitely targeted at type 1 diabetics and I am not sure if the same rules apply for type 2s so I will have to ask her about this on Friday as well.

So even though I have been bad I feel this is quite a positive post.

I'd like to say a big thank you to Kylie Hodges, Emma Bridges and Sonia Newton for keeping on my case about testing and posting my blood sugars.  I have been posting them occasionally on Facebook when I haven't had time to come and blog and will endeavour to keep doing so.  I've decided I don't care if other people get fed up with me posting my sugars the amount of twaddle that other people post sometimes - if they don't like it they don't have to read it.

No comments: